The #1 Ski Destination in the Eastern United States
Massanutten special events Jan. 11-12 - SkiSoutheast.com Messageboard
Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default Massanutten special events Jan. 11-12

Massanutten is holding special events Jan. 11-12. If you are curious to see first hand why I drive past Wintergreen to ski at Mnut, that weekend would be a great time to go.

Freestyle of Charlottesville will have a free demo tent set up Sat-Sun, Jan. 11-12 from 9:00-3:00. Last season there was a good selection of all-mountain skis from Rossi, K2, Nordica, and a few other brands. Most were skis that would be good out west or in the northeast as well as in the Mid-Atlantic.

The Massanutten ski school is offering special 2-hour clinics. A great deal at $30.
Sunday, Jan. 12, 9:30-11:30: Women's Clinic, ages 12 and up
Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00-3:00: Intermediate Clinic, ages 12 and up

If you have a group of 4 or more, send me a PM to find out about the lodging special being offered that includes lift tickets.

A few TRs for Mnut in January in recent years. I've been a regular since 2005. Improvements since 2011 have made Mnut even better as a place to learn or get ready for trips to bigger mountains. It's a great place for families or mixed ability groups interested in ski weekends. Advanced intermediates and advanced skiers get stay on Lift 6 all day and never wait in line. The ski school for kids is fabulous (ages 4-12 for skiing, ages 7-12 for snowboarding).
http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/sh...ad.php?t=13234
http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/sh...ad.php?t=14804

For a detailed introduction to Massanutten, check out my guide on EpicSki.
http://www.epicski.com/a/massanutten...official-guide

Hope to see a few new faces at Mnut in Jan!
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).

Last edited by marzski; 12-07-2013 at 06:47 PM.
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
scotus
Advanced Member
 
scotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Serenity Valley
Posts: 867
Default

Thanks for this post. I got a good deal for a 2 bedroom condo Dec 20-27 and will be going there with several new skiers. I have not tried M-Nut before, but I liked that the resort has a lot of activities for people who are not obsessed with skiing like I am, lol. I appreciate the information in your post, trip reports and on Epicski.
__________________
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift
scotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotus View Post
Thanks for this post. I got a good deal for a 2 bedroom condo Dec 20-27 and will be going there with several new skiers. I have not tried M-Nut before, but I liked that the resort has a lot of activities for people who are not obsessed with skiing like I am, lol. I appreciate the information in your post, trip reports and on Epicski.
I'm sure you'll have a good time. Note that the hours for Dec. 24 and 25 are limited for some of the activities so that the staff can have time off with their families.

The beginner package called Pathways is the best way for a never-ever to get going. If you can, get everyone up to the ticket office by 8:30 or so to beat the crowd. Also possible to get tickets and rentals the night before. Some time after 7pm works I think.

You will be asked about the Activities Card. Can be a good deal if someone is going to do a bunch of crafts and other stuff. But best to wait and look at the offerings first. No need to buy it when you check in.

As a timeshare resort, any singles or couples will be asked to do a timeshare tour. Do not believe it when they say it will only take 2 hours. As timeshare owners, my husband and I have done many tours at Mnut and elsewhere. Fine if you know what to expect and don't mind spending the time. But most people should just say "no" and skip the tour no matter what incentive is given.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
scotus
Advanced Member
 
scotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Serenity Valley
Posts: 867
Default

Actually, I have a timeshare at Treetops in G-burg that has been converted to RCI Points, and I was basically able to get the 2 bedroom for $300 total for the week. I have one of the upper 2 bedrooms at the Summit.

If the incentive is right (I have heard that Activity Cards are given for going on the tour), I will go. I have done it before at other timeshare places and I find it kind of amusing that they are trying to sell me something that I can get likely get for free, or close to free, from somewhere else (I got my timeshare for free a few years ago). Also, it looks like the activity card gets you a 50% discount on skiing, so that might make sense.

They do have skiing on the 24th and 25th, so all is not lost hahaha. Also, the water park and skating is open part of those days as well.
__________________
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift
scotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
davidski
Messageboard Patroller (like ski patrol, with a keyboard!)
 
davidski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,099
Default

I want to finally make it up to massanutten, in the past I've done a half day at Wintergreen on my way to the Canaan Valley, perhaps I'll try going to Mass instead, it always looks good in your TRs. How much further is the drive then WG?
__________________
-----


"Everyone likes Mr. Nice"
davidski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
davidski
Messageboard Patroller (like ski patrol, with a keyboard!)
 
davidski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,099
Default

I looked at your guide on Epic (yes I sometimes frequent it), again good info. It's interesting about the conveyor lift loading, I have only encountered that on one of the upper lifts at alta, basically it appears to allow a fixed lift to run significantly faster because your'e already moving while loading -- made for a much shorter ride but I'm surprised it doesn't cause a lot of tangles and stops with skiers in the SE

Trees look like they would be a lot of fun with good snow -- how is patrol there about decent skiers going off trail?
__________________
-----


"Everyone likes Mr. Nice"
davidski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotus View Post
Actually, I have a timeshare at Treetops in G-burg that has been converted to RCI Points, and I was basically able to get the 2 bedroom for $300 total for the week. I have one of the upper 2 bedrooms at the Summit.

If the incentive is right (I have heard that Activity Cards are given for going on the tour), I will go. I have done it before at other timeshare places and I find it kind of amusing that they are trying to sell me something that I can get likely get for free, or close to free, from somewhere else (I got my timeshare for free a few years ago). Also, it looks like the activity card gets you a 50% discount on skiing, so that might make sense.

They do have skiing on the 24th and 25th, so all is not lost hahaha. Also, the water park and skating is open part of those days as well.
Someone who knows how timeshare works can have a good time doing a tour at Mnut. When my husband goes, we usually do the "owner update" but wait until they up the incentive on the 2nd or 3rd call. Especially if the skiing isn't that good for whatever reason. Just remember that an Activity Card is for one person only. You can can't use one to get discounted tickets for the entire group.

If you buy multi-day lift tickets, then night skiing for every one of the days is included. On a holiday weekend, I will ski 9:00 until lunch time, then go back to the unit for a leisurely lunch, and head back around 2:30 or 3:00 and ski into the lights. Most guests don't get to the parking lot until 9:00 and then end up in line for rentals. Slopes can be pretty empty before 11:00.

It's possible to ski down to the lodge from the edge of the lowest public lot (just past the owner lot).

If your group wants to go snow tubing, best to send someone to buy tickets first thing in the morning. I think one person can buy up to 8 tickets. Only owners can buy snow tubing tickets the afternoon before.

Mnut is full during the summer season. But always possible to get a Gold Crown unit during the ski season with a little planning. Sometimes I prefer to stay in the valley in Woodstone instead of up the mountain at Summit. It's fair to say that I've stayed in every possible section of Mnut in the last 10 years.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidski View Post
I looked at your guide on Epic (yes I sometimes frequent it), again good info. It's interesting about the conveyor lift loading, I have only encountered that on one of the upper lifts at alta, basically it appears to allow a fixed lift to run significantly faster because your'e already moving while loading -- made for a much shorter ride but I'm surprised it doesn't cause a lot of tangles and stops with skiers in the SE

Trees look like they would be a lot of fun with good snow -- how is patrol there about decent skiers going off trail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidski View Post
I want to finally make it up to massanutten, in the past I've done a half day at Wintergreen on my way to the Canaan Valley, perhaps I'll try going to Mass instead, it always looks good in your TRs. How much further is the drive then WG?
Timewise, it only takes 30-40 min longer to arrive at Mnut compared to WG. Plus no worries about driving up a mountain.

Beginners do much better with conveyor loading. After Mnut installed them, the long beginner lift doesn't stop nearly as often. Very few issues loading . . . so only have to deal with folks messing up unloading at the top.

Guess you forgot my 2009-2010 TR after the blizzard. No issues with skiing in the trees when there is enough snow. We watched the coach of the snowboard team get them to huck on big rock under Lift 6 at one point.

[IMG][/IMG]

These are tracks after the early March 2013 storm. I saw an instructor taking his kids into the trees next to the green trails.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

bump

Mnut started snow making on ParaDice this week. Looking forward to the demo days Jan. 11-12. Going to be a LOT more snow than last season.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Brands that Freestyle of Charlottesville plans on bringing for the Mnut demo days Jan. 11-12 include Blizzard, Rossi, K2, Scott, Nordica, Dynastar, and Head. Last year there were plenty of all-mountain models good for use out west, as well as in the southeast or Mid-Atlantic. Meaning 80-95 underfoot.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzski View Post
Brands that Freestyle of Charlottesville plans on bringing for the Mnut demo days Jan. 11-12 include Blizzard, Rossi, K2, Scott, Nordica, Dynastar, and Head. Last year there were plenty of all-mountain models good for use out west, as well as in the southeast or Mid-Atlantic. Meaning 80-95 underfoot.
Will also have the Volkl RTM 81 and RTM 84.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

The demo tent by Freestyle of Charlottesville will be set up Sat-Sun, Jan. 11-12 from 9:00-3:00 at the base of Lift 6, so easy to lap DJ or Paradice. Last season there was a good selection of all-mountain skis from Blizzard, Rossi, K2, Scott, Nordica, Dynastar, Volkl and Head. Heard they will have the Volkl RTM81 and RTM84. Most were skis that would be good out west or in the northeast as well as in the Mid-Atlantic, meaning 80-100cm underfoot.

The Massanutten ski school is offering special 2-hour clinics on Jan. 12. A great deal at $30. Those are for intermediates and up. The usual 1.5 hour group lessons cost $35.

Sunday, Jan. 12, 9:30-11:30: Women's Clinic, ages 12 and up
Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00-3:00: Intermediate Clinic, ages 12 and up

theKENDOG had a good time at Mnut this week. His TR has blue sky pics.

http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/sh...ad.php?t=16257
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzski View Post
The demo tent by Freestyle of Charlottesville will be set up Sat-Sun, Jan. 11-12 from 9:00-3:00 at the base of Lift 6, so easy to lap DJ or Paradice. Last season there was a good selection of all-mountain skis from Blizzard, Rossi, K2, Scott, Nordica, Dynastar, Volkl and Head. Heard they will have the Volkl RTM81 and RTM84. Most were skis that would be good out west or in the northeast as well as in the Mid-Atlantic, meaning 80-100cm underfoot.

The Massanutten ski school is offering special 2-hour clinics on Jan. 12. A great deal at $30. Those are for intermediates and up. The usual 1.5 hour group lessons cost $35.

Sunday, Jan. 12, 9:30-11:30: Women's Clinic, ages 12 and up
Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00-3:00: Intermediate Clinic, ages 12 and up

theKENDOG had a good time at Mnut this week. His TR has blue sky pics.

http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/sh...ad.php?t=16257
Looks like there might be a chance to check out demo skis on MakAttack bumps next weekend. Snowmaking started there last night. The connector trail, Yee Ha, over from the top of Lift 5 to get to Lift 6 for Paradice and DJ should be open soon.

List of brands/models that Freestyle plans to bring:
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=780

Special clinics on Sunday, Jan. 12:
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=81#Ladies
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

Got to Mnut last night. Skied at Wintergreen today with a friend. Pretty nice over there although did get somewhat skied off by mid-afternoon. Looking forward to Mnut slopes tomorrow morning before another Silver Clinic in the afternoon. Everything is open.

Hopefully the rain will hold off until late afternoon on Sat. Sun should be a decent day. There is plenty of base after the last few weeks of cold snowmaking weather, so temps in the low 50’s won’t be a problem. Here is the list of skis that Freestyle plans to bring to the Massanutten Demo Days Jan. 11-12.

Blizzard Bonafide & Brahma
Volkl RTM 81, RTM 84, Kendo
Rossignol Experience 83, Experience 88, Soul 7
Head Rev 80 Pro, Rev 85 Pro, Supershape Magnum
Scott Reverse, Crusade, The Ski
K2 Rictor 90 XTI, Amp 80 XTI
Blizzard Black Pearl
Nordica Wild Belle
Volkl Yumi, Charisma
Scott Luna
Rossignol Temptation 82, Temptation 88
K2 Superific, Superglide

The special Intermediate Clinic on Jan. 12 will definitely happen: 1:00-3:00 for $30 with a Level 2 or 3 instructor. So far, two people interested for sure. The Women’s Clinic in the morning may have more than one group, based mostly on ability. Also $30 for two hours.
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #15
marzski
Super User
 
marzski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,206
Default

The weekend turned out better than expected weather-wise. Although the threat of rain meant few people were around to demo on Saturday morning. Hard rain around 11:30am more or less closed down the demo tent. Although they did let my friend who arrived from DC at lunch time take out a pair of ski for an hour in the afternoon. No rain after 3:00 and nice soft snow. We had a good time skiing until the lights were full on.

Sunday was great. Sunny, warm enough to soften all over by mid-morning. I checked out the Rossi Temptations in both relevant lengths. Any one of them would be great.

Freestyle had enough choices in terms of length. They will have more options at Wintergreen during the holiday weekend demo days. Can't bring too many in the van because it would be too heavy.

Pretty sunset Sat late afternoon


MakAttack is bumping up


Freestyle Demo Tent Jan. 12, 2014
__________________
2013-14: Tremblant, Whiteface, Elk, Wintergreen, Mnut (20), Gore, JH, Snowbasin, PowMow, Plattekill, Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Belleayre, Alta/Snowbird (15 in April).

Last edited by marzski; 01-18-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: restore pics
marzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.







Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum