Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #91
mommehK
Super User

Blue pill or red pill?
mommehK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #92
Droogie
Super User

Bump for an oldie. I wonder if this thread will get deleted.
Droogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #93
Snowbucks
Beginner to Intermediate Member

Default Free At Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
Bump for an oldie. I wonder if this thread will get deleted.
Now why would you want to bring Blowshoe back up? I happily sold for half what I paid to get out of there and according to todays' listings...made out like a bandit! You can get a 3 bed/2 bath for $67k now, But...at free...you'd be losing money when you factor in HOA fees, Mtn Tax, Poco Tax, Utilities, Special Assessments, and the coming RAD (Resort Area Development).
You're $$$ ahead to just pay for the week you'll be there and leave the headaches, additional expenses, and devaluation to the owner.

Last edited by Snowbucks; 05-26-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Snowbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #94
Droogie
Super User

Yikes. Good work getting out of there. As for me I have never spent one penny of my money there and don't plan to

Edit: except for the $25 administrative fee to get the pass cancelled.

Last edited by Droogie; 05-27-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #95
Snowbucks

So you're not one of those that complain about $100 lift tickets for WV, 45 minute waits at Ballhooter, new "resort taxes" added to everything...and...stand in line to pay it? SS should raise tickets to $125 next season. People will complain all the way to the ticket window as they still pay it! LOL
Disney raised their tickets this year...and you still can't find a place to park.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #96
SnowshoeGuy
I'm just getting acquainted!

It looks like these folks are going all in at the 'Shoe.

http://www.corduroyinn.com/
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #97
pagamony
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbucks View Post
So you're not one of those that complain about $100 lift tickets for WV, 45 minute waits at Ballhooter, new "resort taxes" added to everything...and...stand in line to pay it? SS should raise tickets to $125 next season. People will complain all the way to the ticket window as they still pay it! LOL
Disney raised their tickets this year...and you still can't find a place to park.
alternatively, you could have gotten the cheapo season pass, rented by vrbo, skipped holidays, and avoided ballhooter in the afternoons. it ain't difficult.

but thank you for over-purchasing condos so I could find a cheap rental
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #98
davidski
Messageboard Patroller (like ski patrol, with a keyboard!)

Damn ,, that was fun to reread all that.

To go back to Teledaves original point; Snowshoe is a stuck up mess and now a stunning **** show of crowds -- BUT the 200 dollar pass cannot be beat if you get 8 great days there -- and by that I include rolling in and staying with friends to ski four hours into the night at silvercreek

Or skiing two days with bad grooming and rocks and grass on the right hand of widowmaker -- or when it has powder and crud. Especially when you can roll off the reliable lip at the top and land in that ungroomed side, I've felt like a super hero and such occasions are important to me

I will grant TD most of his tirade, but let's agree that SS can be a nice stopover on the way to and from the CV -- and an excellent buffer for the crowds -- it sucks them in and holds them, Mordor never looked so nice

hey last thing -- never disrespect SS until you go on a short tour with BB, it's an eye opener

"Everyone likes Mr. Nice"
davidski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #99
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced Member

I have been taking group trips to Snowshoe since 1997. In college a bunch of us would rent two side-by-side Wabasso units. I still have the Word.docs of the budgets - 4 nights, 4 days for under $300 including lifts, gas, food, alcohol, and other stuff... of course we had like 12 ways to split it. And it was about the same when we rented a 5 bedroom WT house. The Slippery When Wet sign we use to sled down Cupp back to the house from the bars was free, as were the VHS tapes of the first few seasons of Southpark copied from broadcasts.

What would have snowshoe been without Intrawest though? Closed maybe?

I'm glad its there. I like the ambiance and architecture of the village, especially when it is snowing. But yeah, staying in the central village for two people is expensive if you don't get a deal. My wife and I made a trip to Snowshoe the first or second year we were dating. It's kind of a special place and a treat for us. We didn't go last year because staying in the central village for the two of us for 3 nights would have been well over $1,000 when all was said and done.

I don't know the exact figure of the number of units at SS, but it's over 2000 today.

A gold studio can go for over $200 a night mid-season. The number of rental units has exploded since my first trips in the 90s; however terrain expansion I would estimate has been less than 10%.

Intrawest has grown the services and units towards a premiere destination experience. While they have invested in the snow making infrastructure, the skiing and actual mountain haven't really changed.

For what Intrawest has created, is creating up there, they need to double their skiable acreage with some longer trails.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #100
Droogie
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by killglobalwarmingnow View Post
But yeah, staying in the central village for two people is expensive if you don't get a deal. My wife and I made a trip to Snowshoe the first or second year we were dating. It's kind of a special place and a treat for us. We didn't go last year because staying in the central village for the two of us for 3 nights would have been well over $1,000 when all was said and done.

I don't know the exact figure of the number of units at SS, but it's over 2000 today.

A gold studio can go for over $200 a night mid-season. The number of rental units has exploded since my first trips in the 90s; however terrain expansion I would estimate has been less than 10%.
Bingo. I just can't stomach coughing up that much for my wife and I when I can go elsewhere in the region (WNY, PA, The CV) for less $$, with at least as good of skiing and smaller crowds. SS prices also cut into money for out west which I just won't do.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #101
Droogie
Super User

David, I want to ski somewhere, anywhere too!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #102
teledave
Benevolent Dictator

Nice Find. LMAO!
Originally Posted by davidski View Post
Until I can throw a backflip at will I won't call anyone out, except to say -- deal with natural terrain you pussies
teledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #103
Snowbucks

Default Econ 101

Remember your Econ class. They can only charge as high an amount as people are willing to pay. So far...they haven't discovered that amount yet. They aren't even close to charging what people are willing to pay, else you wouldn't be standing in a line at Ballhooter.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #104
SnowshoeGuy
I'm just getting acquainted!

Default Econ 102 Case Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbucks View Post
Remember your Econ class. They can only charge as high an amount as people are willing to pay. So far...they haven't discovered that amount yet. They aren't even close to charging what people are willing to pay, else you wouldn't be standing in a line at Ballhooter.
SB, with all due respect, I know you hate SS. It is not perfect by any stretch. IMO, you let your anger and frustration about SS be a factor a major financial decision when you sold your place.

You hit the nail on the head with your post above ...... with all the vacationers willing to fork out top dollar under the illusion that SS is the greatest ski resort known to mankind, you could have rented out your place, ride out the real estate down turn and cut your losses if not broke even down the road.

Hell, I'm a little upside down on my place right now. I also strongly dislike some of the things they've done that you have mentioned. As long as we keep it rented to cover the bulk of my expenses, who cares. It will turn around one day.

OPM (Other People's Money) is the basis of funding real estate investments to build wealth. (Bank Loans and Rental Income)

Neither one of us are getting any richer debating on a message board but one man's trash may be another man's treasure.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #105
GrizzlyEnton
Super User

Snowshoe management in Gif form
http://i.imgur.com/RNYt2Vp.gif